A fully working dishwasher takes away the need to hand wash dishes, glasses, and cutlery – so it’s quite annoying when it suddenly won’t function properly. There are several faults that can be identified without having to call out an engineer – take a look at the most common dishwasher problems and how to diagnose them here…
Before you start
You need to turn off the power to your dishwasher before you attempt any repairs
–take out the plug and disconnect the mains power. If you choose to go the DIY route here are some common dishwasher problems and potential solutions:
Won’t turn on
This problem is more common with older machines – and there are some simple checks you can make. Make sure the dishwasher is receiving power
– be sure it’s plugged in and check the breaker. Try plugging it into a different socket so you know that’s not the issue. Make sure the door is closed tight
as the dishwasher won’t start if the door isn’t properly latched – to test this close the door and hold the latch tightly before turning the power on – if it starts your problem is a faulty latch that may need replacing.
If the hot water isn’t working some models won’t function unless the recommended temperature is reached.
Won’t heat or dry dishes
The reason why your dishwasher isn’t heating effectively may be due to a faulty heating element. This part is visible in the tub – controlling the temperature of the water being injected into the machine. You may need an electrician
to repair or replace the element. The most likely explanation for a machine that won’t dry the dishes is also the heating element – you can use a multi-meter to check that it’s working properly, and use it to check the high limit thermostat for malfunctions too.
Dishes are still dirty
This could be due to several factors including overloading the machine, restriction of the spinning motion of the spray arms, and loading the machine without scraping off food residues. If none of these apply then you can check for grease and blockages in the strain screen and door gasket
– spray arms can be manually spun to test them, and cleaned with a toothbrush after removing them. White spots and residues can be solved by adding a simple rinse aid.
If the cleaning quality remains poor you can try washing the dishes on a longer cycle, at a higher temperature, or using a stronger washing detergent.
Dishwasher is leaking
Check the door and door gasket initially
– looking for cracks or large pieces of debris that could be stopping the door form sealing properly. The gasket is the rubber strip inside the door frame specifically meant to keep water within the unit – this can get damaged or torn and will prevent it acting as a tight seal. If this is the case you’ll get a small pool of water building up.
Next check the drainage hose for cracks and splits – and the gaskets in the heating element. A leaking dishwasher can also be caused by a defective pump or pump seal – both of which can be replaced.
If the smell is noticeable after the wash is completed look for trapped food and grease located in the strainer screen, in the sprayer arm jets, and the rim along the bottom edge of the door. Clean all of these parts before running an empty full cycle.
You can use a recommended dishwasher cleanser on a regular basis to keep on top of any unpleasant odours.
Makes a noise
A noisy dishwasher can often be caused by a faulty or blocked pump drain
– you can disconnect the pipe and blow through to clear it out to solve this problem. Defective pumps, wash arm seals, and bearing rings can all create a noise issue – spray arms that won’t turn properly and are catching on racks or dishes may need to be replaced.
This can be a big problem if you’ve got a dishwasher full of water that won’t drain as it could cause flooding. This could be due to a faulty check valve in the drain sump
– you’ll have to replace it if it’s not moving properly. The piston and nut assembly is located at the bottom of the tub – when the piston is in the down position it should form a tight seal.
Check for blockages in the hoses and drain, and look at the drain pump or motor. If the motor is humming the problem could be a seizure – you may need to call in the professionals here.
Affordable Domestic Appliance Repairs
For a highly recommended dishwasher repair London service
look no further than Exclusive Repairs. They’ve got the expertise needed to fix any issues you’re having with your appliance. You’ll be able to get a free quote before you book your service
– and it’ll be fully insured and come with a six-month quality guarantee. Your dishwasher problems will quickly be diagnosed and rectified.